Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Art of a Missed Connection

Whenever I need to be cheered up I go on Craigslist and look at the missed connections. You can't help but laugh. Some are amusing, some are insane, and some are just plain creepy. This one is C) all of the above.

This aspiring novelist is from Maryland, home of the Metro subway which titles the lines after various colors. Thanks to my friend Emily for locating this gem.

"You were shining and it was glorious to see. - m4w (Blue Line)

I felt really good this morning. I don't know why, it's been a long time since I've felt this way.

So there I was on the Blue Line. I don't take Blue, but there were no Yellows coming and I didn't feel like waiting. You got on somewhere around Pentagon. You were asian, with fine features and slightly wide set eyes that seemed impossibly large. Perhaps it was the seafoam-blue eyeshadow. The color was striking, even more so because of the boldness with which it was applied. I saw you walk on, but didn't really notice you until we broke from the tunnels and the sun shown through the door window. Warm golden light streamed in as you gazed out. The kind of light that seems to penetrate a person's skin and reflect back from within. You were shining and it was glorious to see. I was dazzled as Pink Floyd's The Great Gig in the Sky came to a crescendo on my iPod. It seemed somewhere in those vocals, it captured the moment. The extacy of seeing something so beautiful.

It doesn't matter who I am. I am no one, I am everyone. But you, you are perfect.

Today is a good day."

2 comments:

  1. I am in Chicago and we have colors as the names of our trains too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "Best-of-Craigslist" section, but missed connections on there can be just as hilarious.

    ReplyDelete